Arid (transliteration: ʿĀriḍ) is an Arabic name for boys that means “clouds”12. Arid can also mean “that which blocks something”,3 such as a mountain that blocks the way.4
Arid is also spelled as Ared, Ariz, Arez, Aarid, Aariz, Aaridh, and Aridh.
There is one Companion of the Prophet named Arid:
- Arid al-Jashmi عارض الجشمي
The word Arid is used in the Quran in verse 46:24:
Then, when they saw a cloud approaching their valley, they said, “This is a cloud that will bring us rain.” “In fact, it is what you were impatient for: a wind in which is grievous suffering.”
Below is the name Arid written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the same name written in Arabic kufi script:
- Tuhfah al-Areeb bima fil Qur’aan minal Ghareeb by Abu Hayyan al-Gharnati (d. 1344 CE), entry for عرض.
- Al-Muheet fil Lughah by al-Sahib bin Abbad (d. c. 995 CE), entry for عرض.
- Mu`jam al-Lughah al-Arabiyyah al-Mu`aasirah by Ahmad Mukhtar Umar (d. 2003 CE), entry forعرض.
- Al-Misbaah al-Muneer by al-Fayyumi (d. 1368 CE), entry for عرض.