As-salaamu 'alaykum, wa rahmatu-llaahi wa barakaatuh. Which of the six well-known Hadith collections contain the largest number of Hadith? Jazak-Allahu khayran.
Alaikumassalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh,
The number of hadiths that are mentioned in both Bukhari and Muslim are 2514 (excluding repetitions).
Below are the hadith counts from the major collections according to Wikipedia:
- Sahih Bukhari, collected by Imam Bukhari (d. 256 AH, 870 CE), includes 7,275 ahadith (2,230 without repetitions)
- Sahih Muslim, collected by Muslim b. al-Hajjaj (d. 261 AH, 875 CE), includes 9,200 ahadith (2,200 without repetitions)
- Sunan Abu Dawood, collected by Abu Dawood (d. 275 AH, 888 CE), includes 4,800 ahadith
- Jami al-Tirmidhi, collected by al-Tirmidhi (d. 279 AH, 892 CE), includes 3,956 ahadith
- Sunan al-Sughra, collected by al-Nasa’i (d. 303 AH, 915 CE), includes 5,270 ahadith
- Sunan ibn Majah, collected by Ibn Majah (d. 273 AH, 887 CE), over 4,000 ahadith
- Muwatta Malik, collected by Imam Malik (d. 179 AH, 795 CE), 1,720 ahadith
And God knows best.
Asking questions is temporarily unavailable. Sorry for the inconvenience.